Skip to navigation
Put Skilled Counsel in Your Corner Schedule a Free Consultation

What a Medical Malpractice Case Looks Like and Why a Lawyer Can Help

May 10, 2019

Medical malpractice is one of the most complex types of personal injury litigation. It involves an alleged breach of an applicable standard of care for a patient that was committed by a doctor, other health care professional, or hospital. When that breach causes a patient’s condition to worsen, or if it causes the death of a patient, he, she, or their family is eligible for compensation for damages.

According to our Denville NJ medical malpractice lawyers at The Law Offices of G. Martin Meyers, an act or failure to act that is alleged to constitute medical malpractice can take on several different forms. Here are a few examples of them:

  • Misdiagnosis delayed diagnosis or the failure to diagnose.

  • Surgical errors like performing surgery on the wrong part of the body or even the wrong patient.

  • Anesthesia errors.

  • Medication errors.

  • Birth errors like improper use of forceps, brachial plexus injuries oxygen deprivation to the baby.

  • Infections.

Rules involving evidence and procedure also make medical malpractice cases in New Jersey highly complex. Most cases turn on the testimony of medical experts for both sides. These cases don’t involve fender bender small claims actions. They often involve damages in the millions of dollars, and they can be hotly contested.

Only experienced, qualified, and effective attorneys should be representing parties claiming injuries and damages in medical malpractice cases. The costs of litigation alone can make such a case cost-prohibitive. If you believe that you were injured as a result of a medical error, or if you believe that you lost a family member as a result of such an error, contact the Denville NJ medical malpractice lawyers at The Law Offices of G. Martin Meyers to arrange for a free consultation and case assessment. We’re going to listen to you carefully and answer your questions. Then, we can discuss your legal alternatives under New Jersey law.